Curiosity and Luck
Being at the right place at the right time. Opening the door even thought you are not sure what is on the other side.
- Saying yes to Brad when he asked you to come onboard a new research group at the San Diego Super Computer Center (SDDC) investigating “what does the Internet looking like” (1997).
- Saying yes to the Very High Speed Backbone Network Service (vBNS) offer to come join the team (1999).
- Calling an employer out of the blue and asking for a job interview even though they did not advertise any jobs (2005).
- Saying YES to every Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson project. Getting exposed to mobile networks, PCRF, IPTV, Microwave Backhaul, carrier Ethernet and every communication technology that came up between 2005 and 2015.
- Saying yes to Margaret Choisi’s invitation to join the third ETSI NFV meeting to provide input on “how do we test this stuff”.